Bandra Demolition Drive Intensifies as Railway Reclaims Encroached Land, 19 Arrested for Violence
Western Railway’s massive anti-encroachment drive in Bandra East’s Garib Nagar continued amid tight security as Mumbai Police arrested 19 accused involved in violent stone-pelting during the demolition operation. Authorities said over 60 per cent of the illegally occupied railway land has been cleared for future railway development projects.
Western Railway stated that the operation to reclaim government land allegedly occupied through illegal structures was progressing smoothly. Sharing an update on its official social media platform, the railway authority said debris clearance and demolition work were being carried out simultaneously to facilitate the recovery of land earmarked for future railway development.
Photographs and videos released by the railway administration showed heavy machinery clearing debris while demolition teams continued removing unauthorized structures near Bandra railway station without resistance.
Simultaneously, Mumbai Police expanded its crackdown on those accused of attacking security personnel during the anti-encroachment operation. One more accused person was arrested on Friday, taking the total number of arrests in the case to 19.
Police officials said several more suspects remain under surveillance for allegedly pelting stones at police personnel and demolition teams deployed at the site. Investigators are examining closed-circuit television footage and other evidence to determine the role of individuals involved in the violence.
Authorities confirmed that among the 19 arrested accused, one is a minor who has been sent to a children’s remand home.
The demolition drive is being conducted in Garib Nagar, Bandra East, close to the Western Railway network, with the objective of clearing more than 5,000 square metres of government land from illegal occupation.
The operation first witnessed resistance on May 20 when a group gathered at the site and objected to the demolition of a religious structure. According to police officials, the situation escalated on the second day of the operation when the crowd allegedly turned aggressive and began hurling stones at police personnel and members of the demolition squad.
As the violence intensified, police carried out a baton charge to disperse the mob and restore order in the area.
Officials supervising the anti-encroachment operation stated that more than 60 per cent of the railway land has so far been cleared through the demolition and removal of illegally constructed structures.
The ongoing operation has emerged as one of the most significant land recovery drives in the Bandra region, with railway authorities and police maintaining a coordinated crackdown to ensure the completion of the clearance process amid heightened security and continuing investigations into the violence.

Comment List